9 Feb 2018

The size of the U.S.S. Discovery from Star Trek Discovery

The USS Discovery NCC-1031 was a 23rd century Federation Crossfield-class starship, under the command of Captain Gabriel Lorca.

  • The premise for all my deck calculations: a deck is 2,5m + 0,5m for EPS cables, power cables, ... = 3m height for a deck.
  • My calculations follow a purely mathematical approach. I do not compare bridge modules or disk heights with each other. I always pull in decks based on the rows of windows and then calculate a physically plausible room height.

In my first calculation, I used the deck height based on the promotion image of CBS. However, I later realized that this must contain wrong proportions, because there are not enough decks left to match the rows of windows.

picture by CBS

If so, the middle section of the discus would only have one deck. Then there would be missing intermediate decks!

Crossfield Class CGI by Starship Collection

schematic by Starship Collection

schematic by Starship Collection

With this information I have calculated a length of 750,5m. The officially announced size of the ship is therefore correct! Of course, the length mainly results from the overlong warp nacelles.

The size of the ship is also reflected in the size of the bridge, which extends over one and a half decks (a human is between 1,80 and 2,00 meters tall). Commander Michael Burnham (actress Sonequa Martin-Green) is 1,64m tall.

screencap by trekcore.com
foto by fotographer Caitlin Cronenberg